Search This Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lobster Risotto


I had some left over frozen Canadian lobster claws and was in search of a dish to use them in (this seems to be a common theme).

I'd been wanting to try Thomas Keller's method of poaching lobster in a Buerre Monté for a while. Not being content (as usual) to follow recipes, I added a split vanilla pod, a touch of salt and white wine vinegar. The lobster was poached gently at around 60C to heat through and left to infuse. It was brought back up to temperature prior to serving.


I cooked up a basic blond chicken stock risotto to serve it on. The lobster was just cooked, flavoured and al dente to the bite. The risotto added a fat mouth feel without the fat but did not overpower the lobster taste.


Why vanilla? I've been playing around with the "Flavor Bible" (by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg) and this was one flavour combination that they recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment